4 & 5 -year -olds: Literacy
• I can read individual letters by saying the sounds for them.
• I can blend sounds into words. This helps me to read short words made up of known letter -sound correspondences. Such as ‘h-a-t’. • I am learning to read some letter groups such as ‘th’, ‘sh’, ‘ee’ and say the sounds for them.
• I can read some common exception words such as ‘do’ and ‘said’ (these will be linked to the phonics programme at your child’s school).
• I can read simple phrases and sentences that are made up of words with familiar letter-sound correspondences. I can read a few exception words where needed.
• I re-read these books at home and in school. I am building up my confidence in word reading, my fluency. I am understanding and enjoying these books.
• I can form lower-case and capital letters correctly.
• I can spell words by identifying the sounds. I can write the sound with letter/s.
• I can write short sentences with words when I know the soundletter correspondences. I can use a capital letter and a full stop.
• I re-read what I have written to check that it makes sense.
Unfortunately not the ones with chocolate chips.
Our cookies ensure you get the best experience on our website.
Please make your choice!
Some cookies are necessary in order to make this website function correctly. These are set by default and whilst you can block or delete them by changing your browser settings, some functionality such as being able to log in to the website will not work if you do this. The necessary cookies set on this website are as follows:
A 'sessionid' token is required for logging in to the website and a 'crfstoken' token is
used to prevent cross site request forgery.
An 'alertDismissed' token is used to prevent certain alerts from re-appearing if they have been dismissed.
An 'awsUploads' object is used to facilitate file uploads.
We use Matomo cookies to improve the website performance by capturing information such as browser and device types. The data from this cookie is anonymised.
Cookies are used to help distinguish between humans and bots on contact forms on this website.
A cookie is used to store your cookie preferences for this website.Cookies that are not necessary to make the website work, but which enable additional functionality, can also be set. By default these cookies are disabled, but you can choose to enable them below: