4 & 5-year olds: Mathematics
I can count objects, actions and sounds.
• I can quickly recognise a group of up to five objects without counting. This is called ‘subitising’.
• I can match the correct numeral (number symbol) to the right amount, e.g. I can play ‘snap’ where some cards have numerals, and some have dot arrangements.
• I can count beyond ten.
• I can compare numbers of items.
• I understand the ‘one more than/one less than’ relationship between consecutive numbers.
I am learning about how numbers are made up of other numbers up to 10, e.g. 3 and 3 makes 6. This is called composition of number.
• I know and can say number bonds for numbers 0-5 and some to 10.
• I can select and rotate shapes, this helps me to learn spatial reasoning skills.
• I am learning about how shapes can be combined to make new shapes, e.g. two triangles can be put together to make a square. This helps me to recognise a shape can have other shapes within it, just like numbers can.
• I can continue, copy and create repeating patterns.
• I can compare length, weight and capacity, e.g. “This is heavier than that.”
Unfortunately not the ones with chocolate chips.
Our cookies ensure you get the best experience on our website.
Please make your choice!
Some cookies are necessary in order to make this website function correctly. These are set by default and whilst you can block or delete them by changing your browser settings, some functionality such as being able to log in to the website will not work if you do this. The necessary cookies set on this website are as follows:
A 'sessionid' token is required for logging in to the website and a 'crfstoken' token is
used to prevent cross site request forgery.
An 'alertDismissed' token is used to prevent certain alerts from re-appearing if they have been dismissed.
An 'awsUploads' object is used to facilitate file uploads.
We use Matomo cookies to improve the website performance by capturing information such as browser and device types. The data from this cookie is anonymised.
Cookies are used to help distinguish between humans and bots on contact forms on this website.
A cookie is used to store your cookie preferences for this website.Cookies that are not necessary to make the website work, but which enable additional functionality, can also be set. By default these cookies are disabled, but you can choose to enable them below: