4 & 5-year-olds: Communication and Language
• I understand how to listen carefully, e.g. I make sure I can see the person who is talking.
• I know why listening is important.
• I am learning lots of new words.
• I am using new words that I have learned. I can ask questions to find out more about something I am interested in.
• I can use clear, well-formed sentences to talk about my ideas.
• I can talk about an idea and make a connection to another idea by using words like: ‘and’, ‘or’, ‘but’, ‘because.’
• I can talk about things that I have experienced in detail.
• I can talk about how to solve problems and give explanations about how things work and might happen.
• I can use and respond to social phrases such as when somebody says: “Good morning, how are you?”
• I can retell familiar stories, remember and repeat phrases from these. I can talk about stories in my own words.
• I am using new words that I have learned in lots of different ways.
• I enjoy listening carefully to rhymes and songs and pay attention to the different sounds.
• I enjoy learning rhymes, poems and songs.
• I am interested in using books that give me information, like a book about caring for pets.
• I listen to information books and can talk about what I have learned.
• I enjoy listening and responding to stories at storytime.
• I enjoy listening to stories. I can talk about my favourite and familiar stories.
Unfortunately not the ones with chocolate chips.
Our cookies ensure you get the best experience on our website.
Please make your choice!
Some cookies are necessary in order to make this website function correctly. These are set by default and whilst you can block or delete them by changing your browser settings, some functionality such as being able to log in to the website will not work if you do this. The necessary cookies set on this website are as follows:
A 'sessionid' token is required for logging in to the website and a 'crfstoken' token is
used to prevent cross site request forgery.
An 'alertDismissed' token is used to prevent certain alerts from re-appearing if they have been dismissed.
An 'awsUploads' object is used to facilitate file uploads.
We use Matomo cookies to improve the website performance by capturing information such as browser and device types. The data from this cookie is anonymised.
Cookies are used to help distinguish between humans and bots on contact forms on this website.
A cookie is used to store your cookie preferences for this website.Cookies that are not necessary to make the website work, but which enable additional functionality, can also be set. By default these cookies are disabled, but you can choose to enable them below: